Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Our Doodle Boy is HOME!!!!

It is hard for me to describe the emotional roller coaster that Meliah and I have been on for the last couple of days.  If you don't have a child with autism, you probably won't understand.  Nonetheless, let me share with you my experiences as Colby's dad.

After we got home from my brother's wedding, we learned that Colby had difficulties on Sunday before we arrived.  He was agitated, angry and acting out.  It looked to us like he was not happy with what was going on at home...and to an extent, I don't blame him.  I am not going to place blame on anyone in this article...I am not happy with certain people for what transpired with Colby, but this isn't the time nor the place to air our dirty laundry if you will.


On the previous Sunday, Colby didn't have a terrible day, but it wasn't a good day.  Mel and I had hoped that once home, Colby would be better.  Monday and Tuesday his mood changed significantly and it led to some VERY difficult times, interactions and decisions.  Meliah and I both reached our breaking point with Colby and, reluctantly, we took him to VUMC for treatment. It broke our hearts, but Colby was asked to stay for observation and evaluation for the next 5 days.  It is harder than anyone knows to watch your child go through this...to leave and not have him come home with you. It was not emotionally easy for either of us, and things just weren't the same with our Colby gone.  That having been said, Meliah and I realized that we had reached our breaking points as well...with each other and with Colby.  For our sanity and our safety, leaving Cole at VUMC was the best choice...the hardest choice, but the best one.


Let me be honest, I was dreading celebrating Father's Day because one of my sons was not here with me...but, one phone call changed my mood immediately. Colby made us so proud and so happy this past week.  While at Vandy, Colby actually called Mel and I for the first time ever.  This was a HUGE step.  But, to make things even better, Colby actually made small conversation with me on the phone!  This has never happened.  It was a BIG deal and I was so proud.  Hearing him like this made me realize how far he had come in just a few days...and how proud we are of our boy.  Although we were ready to have our Doodle home, it made my heart happier knowing that, at least for the moment, Colby was able to talk normally to daddy.


Such a roller coaster of emotions,some not great, but others wonderful! We brought Colby back home today and I am looking forward to seeing how things go for our family.  I am optimistic :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment