Friday, June 3, 2011

Picking Your Battles

As parents, we all know that we have to pick the battles that are 1) worth the fight and 2) we are willing to fight.  As parents of a child with Autsim, this is even more true.

As we are trying to get Colby's behavior where it needs to be, we are picking a lot more battles.  We are also learning that we have to follow through.  We have to see the fight through to the end.  We have to stand our ground.  If we don't do these things, then Colby will think that next time all he has to do is push us a little harder, and we will give in.  Or, he will think that it is OK to use the bad behavior that we are trying to rectify.



And trust me, sometimes this is what we are dealing with!!! 

Image Credit : Maniac World



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, bear with me here because this is a little long and kind of weird. I knew Patrick when we both did forensics in grade school, although I was from St. Joseph and was the competition, lol! I also would see him occasionally throughout high school as I went to St. Cecilia and I think he came to a few of our dances with my friend. I am almost positive he doesn't remember me and will say, "Who?" when you tell him this weird woman named Susan Holtman Davis e-mailed you!

    But I found your blog (through our friend, actually) and I just wanted to say, "I get it." I really do. Our 3-year son (our oldest) is autistic and while we haven't dealt with as much as you for as long as you, I just wanted to leave a note and say you're doing an awesome job and send a virtual hug.

    (I deleted the first comment because I realised I had put our friend's name in it and she might not want identifying details flying all over the web. Sorry!)

    ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,

    Email me: meliah_miranda@yahoo.com. We can talk more from there and leave "Friends" off here. You can also look me up on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete