Sunday, May 22, 2011

So Far, So Good - And a Note on Bad Behavior

We have had a good weekend...Well, a good weekend the the "Colby's Family Book"!  We had a few minor incidents with Colby, but really, nothing major.  We will see how today (Sunday) goes.

Mom's Note on Behavior:
On Saturdays, if Colby has had a good week, we take him to a fast food place. This week's choice-CHICK-FIL-A!  Now, I am not judging how other parents choose to parent their children, but there was this child (a boy about 4) in Chick-Fil-A throwing a fit for ice cream.  "I WANT ICE CREAM"-He was screaming.  Dad asked me if there was something wrong with the child, and I said, "I don't know, but the parents let him go play on the play ground area while they ate in the dining room."  God above knows that I am not the perfect parent, but fit-throwing is one thing that I do not allow.  Colby (and the others) have thrown fits in public, but we gather up our stuff and leave.  Above all else, they do not get the treat (such as ice cream).

I know that it is sometimes hard to tell your child, especially when they do have a disability like Autism.
I know that it is easier to just give in to the temptation of giving the child his/her way just so they don't scream, cry, throw a fit, lash out, hit, bite, kick, and the list could go on.
I admit that I have given in more times than I should have.  BUT, I have also learned, on this long journey that is being a part of "Colby's Family", that giving in ONLY condones the bad behavior.  It makes the child think that it is OK to act that way.  We (mom and dad) have learned that, even though it may be easier to throw up our hands and say, "Whatever", it is not helping Colby become the person he can become.

No comments:

Post a Comment